Friday, 1 November 2013

A Very Unseasonable Gift

From The Golden Adventures of A Very Dark Horse
I spied this great project months ago and thought it would be perfect for my sun-loving friend Heather.  I tried to make it from an old blanket but it really didn't work well and I put it on the back burner for a while.

October might seem a strange time to pick up a summer project but Heather is off to Australia for a month shortly so it seems a perfect early Christmas gift.

Front view
Here's my version.  I didn't follow the instructions exactly as fleece works a bit differently than towelling.  No fraying!!!  I love working with fleece and hate working with towelling as my poor sewing machine just can't cope with more than one layer of it.

Any hoo...








I chose a purple blanket from Ikea to adapt.  It's a great colour and I know Heather loves purple.  I pulled apart an old cushion to make the pillow part, it's much comfier than the cushion was.






I used this paisley pattern bias binding both for decoration but also support as I was concerned the fleece would stretch if too much was put in the pockets.









The outside pocket is plastic coated cotton and there is a secret inside pocket for phone, kindle, purse etc.






Back View




I think it's one of the prettiest things I've made in a while.  I do hope Heather likes it.  I won't see her for a couple of weeks but I'll be sure to let you know what she thinks.






Sharing with some of these lovely people.
 Sunday - twiggstudios Show off Sunday, bedifferentactnormal's show and tell sundayniftythrifty Sundaydiy showoff's Project ParadeFlamingo Toes's Think Pink Linky

8 comments:

  1. I really like the material you have used for the pocket. Your friend is very lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually need a bag like this, I never thought of making one. I love the colour

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I love sewing with fleece. It's a bit like really think felt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fleece sounds a much better thing to sew with than towelling - looks a lovely present :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the colour of the bag, I'm sure it will be greatfully received too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely friend you are! I love the colour of the fabric, and the bias binding has a lovely pattern x

    ReplyDelete
  7. do like the bag, lovely patterns

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely bag Sara Beth! I'm sure your friend will love it!
    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...